Sometime prior to 1891, a school was built in the Greylock section to service children whose parents worked at the Greylock Mills. The school educated many young minds through the year 1927 when it closed due to the opening of the Parochial school run by the Holy Family Church. Since there were only 16 pupils on opening day of the new school year, the school committee voted to transfer those students to Brayton and close the old school for good.
As time went on children of the west end either went to the Holy Family School or to the Archer School in Blackinton. Problems arose once again however when the Archer School began to show its age. “On February 10, 1948, Superintendent (Richard N.) Anketell ordered the school to be evacuated” due to a weakened roof and a state inspector was called in. After viewing the problem, the inspector “condemned the school and it never reopened”. The younger students of that school were divided between the Blackinton Union and Incarnation Churches for their studies. The older children were transferred to Brayton Elementary School.
Arthur F. Eldridge, an architect, was hired by the school committee to make plans for a new school that was originally to be on the Archer School site. Mayor James A. Bowes reasoned however, that since new houses were being constructed along State Road, the new school should be placed along that thoroughfare. “After much controversy and agitation by the Blackinton residents”, the school committee compromised and voted that two schools be built, one in Blackinton and one on State Road. After the state inspected the Blackinton site, they would not approve it because it was too small. After more haggling and bargaining, it was decided to build one school in the Greylock area.
On August 16, 1951, a ground-breaking ceremony, “with Mayor James A. Bowes turning the first spade. The cornerstone was laid by Mayor Ernest H. Rosasco on May 26, 1952”. The building wasn’t quite ready for the opening of the 1952-1953 school year in September. Instead the school opened officially on February 10, 1953.
Students had to walk on that first day because the school committee voted to eliminate transportation, at least temporarily, for the west end. Blackinton parents protested the action because they didn’t want their children to walk across train tracks to get to school. Mayor Rosasco pointed out that when the Archer School was open, students from the Greylock section had to cross the tracks and no one complained. All students who lived 1.5 miles of the school were expected to walk.
The total price for the school was $259,600.27. Greylock School became a prominent force in the educating system in North Adams. Today it is only one of three neighborhood schools which remain, the others being Brayton Elementary School and Colegrove Elementary.